Petal's mantra for the new year is simple: Let's refill and reuse wherever possible. Let's make single-use consumption behavior a thing of the past by purchasing items that can be reused, refilled or recycled - sending as little as possible to the landfill. Now is the time to curb our waste production by looking towards the future. We’re looking at 2022 with the same goals and values that make up our company’s mission: to empower everyone to make small, manageable, sustainable changes with personal items they use everyday. Like washing your hands.
Why is this important?
Here are a few stats that demonstrate how our everyday consumption behaviors can have a negative impact on our planet:
- About 8 million metric tons of plastic are thrown into the ocean annually. Of those, 236,000 tons are microplastics – tiny pieces of broken-down plastic smaller than your little fingernail.
- Every minute, one garbage truck of plastic is dumped into our ocean.
- By 2050 there will be more plastic in the oceans than there are fish (by weight).
- Many fish humans consume, including brown trout, cisco, and perch, have at one time or another, ingested plastic microfibers.
What can you do to help?
Here's a short list of small changes that really add up. Remember, these changes will not only make an impact on your household's waste/plastic production, but also inspire others to take the same steps!
- Reusable food wraps: There are plenty of options for reusable food wraps made from fabric dipped in beeswax, soy wax as well as jojoba oil, coconut oil, and/or tree resin. This is a great way to keep your food fresh and keep waste out of landfills.
- Toothpaste tablets: Did you know over one billion toothpaste tubes are thrown out every year. Toothpaste tablets are shipped in refillable containers and are just as effective as paste. Just bite down, chew, and brush!
- Zero-waste hand soap: Like Petal! As you can imagine, we are all washing our hands more than ever. Most hand soaps are sold in single-use plastic bottles which get tossed when empty or refilled from larger single use plastic containers. Petal is different. We removed the water from our hand soap and only send you what you need in our tiny, water soluble, biodegradable pods. This reduces our carbon emissions per refill by 90% compared to buying a new bottle of soap. Petal also produces zero-waste since everything is used, reused or recycled. You simply fill our bottle with water, drop in a pod, and shake! Instant bottomless hand soap!
What else do we have in store for 2022?
In addition to the efforts listed above, Petal is also a member of 1% for the Planet - a global network of businesses supporting the urgent need to address environment issues affecting us all. We're committed to donate one percent of our annual sales to non-profit organizations focused on water conservation, coastal cleanup and ending plastic pollution. It’s important that we all feel good when we shop consciously and we think partnerships like this just extends those good vibes even further! Seek out brands that give back whenever possible so you can double down on your personal impact when you shop.
Here’s to clean hands for a clean world in 2022!